Get Adobe Flash player

Holy Cross Abbey

Holy Cross Abbey is a restored Cistercian monastery in the quaint village of Holycross,  situated half way between Cashel and Thurles, County Tipperary (approx only 15 mins drive from Aulber House!).

Please upgrade your Nextgen Gallery plugin and activate it before Cooliris can display.

It was founded originally in 1168 for the Benedictines by the King of Munster, Donal O Brien. The abbey was transferred to the Cistercians about 1182. A particle of the True Cross was enshrined in the abbey, and Holycross became one of the most frequented places of pilgrimage in Ireland. Suppressed in 1536, the abbey was made over in 1563 to the Earl of Ormonde, but through the protection of the Butler Family, the monks remained at Holycross until the 17th century.

It was very prosperous and several of the Abbots were peers of Parliament. The Abbey was later suppressed and given to the Earl of Desmond.

In 1966 a new destiny opened up for Holy Cross. A move was initiated locally to restore the Abbey church and bring it back into use for the local community. Archaeological excavations began in the Abbey shortly afterwards and restoration began in 1971. The restoration was completed in 1975.